Full disclosure, I think the evidence, for those who still care about such things, clearly points to Daniels (a.k.a. Stephanie Clifford) as more believable. So, I was surprised to see the results of a study this morning that asked people the question in my title. What surprises me is that Daniels only got a 4% advantage over Trump, 34% to 30%, while another 30% indicated they didn’t believe either one.
Add Trump’s 30% to the 30% that don’t believe either one, and you’ve got 60% who do not believe Daniels when, from my point of view, her story is far more compelling. Think about her “colored” past anyway you want to, but there is no talk of her molesting anyone and bragging about it on Access Hollywood like there is with Trump. Nor a string of 15 or so accusers of molestation coming forth.
But let’s just get to the heart of the issue: Compare Trump, who has been proven to lie several times a day about all sorts of things, with Daniels who has stuck with the same story right along. I have not seen proof she has lied about her relation with Trump. The media calls it an “affair,” which I think over blows a one night stand.
Daniels has simply stated she slept with Trump once and it was consensual. That was it. She has been suing him because he has lied about it happening and her receiving a payoff to keep quiet.
I think she is a tough woman who doesn’t like being pushed around and wants vindication, which is not to say the money and attention she has garnered has not added fuel to her motivation. I’m not arguing for her sainthood, just that her story is more believable than Trump’s, which to me is a low bar to hurdle. The question isn’t motives but who has been more truthful.
To all those who don’t believe her, are you saying Daniels did not receive a payoff from Michael Cohen acting on behalf of Trump (do you think he forked out that 200 grand on his own?). If you think so, I’d say just wait and see how the Cohen trial pans out.
My intention here is not to launch a full blown defense of Stormy Daniels, but to initiate possible conversations on the question of whose story is more truthful. If we are ever going to bridge our political chasm, we have to find some topics that we can investigate together. If we can’t come to terms on the truth of this situation, what can we agree upon? To bridge both sides of the chasm requires something to talk about that it is simple enough to come up with a yes or no answer.
“Who do you believe” and why? …….. is a place to start.
P. S. – The study also shows that 72% of the Republicans questioned believed Trump. My theory is fewer than that believe him, but given our current tribalism, they answer as if they did. I think there are plenty of Republicans who don’t like the man but like his policies enough to ignore their own feelings. I imagine they think of the poll less as a matter of truth, but as a matter of whom they support.